Called a “Monument to Talk,” The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company opened 140 New Montgomery in 1925 as an icon of design and a statement of the power of the latest technology. Six acres of terra cotta constructed by the Gladding McBean Company adorned San Francisco’s tallest building, with eight terra cotta eagles perched at the top to protect the building and watch the bustling city below.

Known nationally and internationally in the business and design communities, visiting dignitaries included Winston Churchill, who during his visit in 1929 made one of the first trans-Atlantic phone calls.

Photo courtesy of AT&T Archives